La Prévention Routière Internationale (PRI) is a non-governmental international road safety organisation. The key tasks of PRI are raising awareness and promoting road traffic safety at an international level and encouraging efficient action to improve road traffic accident prevention. For more detailed information about PRI, its vision and mission, click here.
PRI's main work areas are transferring knowledge and experiences (best practices, worse cases, developments), advocacy, raising awareness for road safety and lobbying decision makers.
In order to reach the goals set out in its mission, PRI undertakes a number of activities which are to:
- advise and assist national bodies involved in traffic safety;
- promote the co-operation of national and international organisations and bodies interested directly and indirectly in the promotion and improvement of road traffic and its safety;
- collect and dissiminate relevant documentation and publications in order to promote internationally best practices in road safety;
- distribute regularly declarations, resolutions and press releases in which PRI puts forward its political standpoint on road safety issues;
- take part in international key road safety events and meetings such as the meetings organised by the United Nations Road Safety Collaboration;
- create throughout the world an awareness of the consequences of traffic accidents;
- support as much as possible research into all matters relating to traffic safety;
- organize and promote joint traffic safety events such as regional conferences, a PRI World Congress every four years, a yearly Road Safety Forum;
- promote the training of road safety specialists and the exchange of experience in the field of traffic safety.
- Communitaion through Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
PRI has taken the initiative for several specific projects such as the EU-funded VAMOS project. I has also participated in the EU-funded CAST project.
WHO, P. Virot
VAMOS - Volunteers Always on the Move for better Road Safety
As mentioned above, the VAMOS project is an initiative of PRI. Involving volunteers and focusing on vulnerable road users is the main objective of this European-wide initiative.
More about VAMOS here.
CAST - Campaigns and Awareness-raising Strategies in Traffic Safety
CAST is a Specific Targeted Research Project (STREP) set up with the support of the European Commission. It is aimed at meeting the Commission's needs for enhancing traffic safety by means of effective road safety campaigns.
PRI is one of the organisations supporting the CAST project. Apart from the European Union who is the initiator of the project, the other supporting organisations are: IBSR-BIVV (The Belgian Road Safety Institute and project leader of CAST) and FERSI (Forum of European Road Safety Research Institutes).
The CAST project has been set up to meet the demand for powerful and innovative guidelines to design, implement and evaluate road safety campaigns that can be used by EU Member States, by the European Commission for its own campaigns and by other stakeholders. More precisely, CAST has developed a Manual for Designing, Implementing, and Evaluating Road Safety Communication Campaigns. An Evaluation Tool and an Reporting Tool have also been developed by CAST.
More information: www.cast-eu.org